Welcome message

Welcome, friends old and new, to my blog. This is the place where I can share my scribblings and thoughts on loving life. I hope you enjoy them, make suggestions and come back to read more.

Wednesday 22 April 2015

Great Fictional Characters: Scarlett O' Hara

Continuing with the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge 2015.

 

S is for Scarlett O'Hara.

 
 “Scarlet O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were. In her face were too sharply blended the delicate features of her mother, a Coast aristocrat of French descent, and the heavy ones of her florid Irish father. But it was an arresting face, pointed of chin, square of jaw. Her eyes were pale green without a touch of hazel, starred with bristly black lashes and slightly tilted at the ends. Above them, her thick black brows slanted upward, cutting a startling oblique line in her magnolia-white skin-that skin so prized by Southern women and so carefully guarded with bonnets, veils and mittens against hot Georgia suns.”  
 
Oh, to be a southern belle! To drink mint julep on the porch and go to balls! To wear fine dresses and flutter my eyelashes!
 
Obviously, Scarlett manages a little more than that- quite a lot more than that, in fact- and following her as she grows emotionally from a spoiled, selfish little madam who deserves a good slap to a resilient and resourceful woman never fails to be a joy for me. 
 
I love her feistiness, her complete disregard for anyone but herself, her downfall and heart-breaking epiphany. Plus, anyone who can look good in curtains and a cock-feather is a winner in my eyes.
 
Scarlett taught me to act dumb, think smart, flutter my eyelashes and that, after all, tomorrow is another day.

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I also love Scarlett, her growth...and her fashion-sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I adore the costumes from the film and Vivian Leigh is the only Scarlett for me. Have you read the sequel, "Scarlett"? I liked how it tied up loose ends but I didn't enjoy it as much as Gone With the Wind.

      Thanks for commenting xxx

      Delete
  2. Imagine having to wear the corset like she did and have to get tied into it. She certainly did live an interesting life :)

    Visiting from A/Z

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think the corset would be much fun. Mind you, if it gave me a waist as small as hers, I might be tempted to squash a few ribs :)

      Thanks for stopping by! xxx

      Delete

This is the part where you get to join in! What did you think of today's post? Leave me a message and let me know what you think. I love reading your comments!