Welcome message

Welcome, friends old and new, to my blog. This is the place where I can share my scribblings and thoughts on loving life. I hope you enjoy them, make suggestions and come back to read more.

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Great Fictional Characters: Albus Dumbledore

This year, I'm taking part in the Blogging from A-Z April Challenge 2015.


My theme, unsurprisingly for someone who devours books so voraciously, is Great Fictional Characters. And who better to begin with than the most beloved headmaster, Albus Dumbledore?



Artist credit

"Albus Dumbledore was never proud or vain; he could find something to value in anyone, however apparently insignificant or wretched, and I believe that his early losses endowed him with great humanity and sympathy. I shall miss his friendship more than I can say, but my loss is as nothing compared to the wizarding world's. That he was the most inspiring and the best loved of all Hogwarts headmasters cannot be in question."

Elphias Doge
 
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore is the headmaster we all wish we'd had in school: wise, just, kindly- with a pinch of mischievous spirit that made him more fun than a classroom full of Cornish Pixies.
 
“Of course we still want to know you!" Harry said, staring at Hagrid.
"You don't think anything that Skeeter cow - sorry, Professor," he added quickly, looking at Dumbledore.
"I have gone temporarily deaf and haven't any idea what you said, Harry," said Dumbledore, twiddling his thumbs and staring at the ceiling.”
 
The greatest wizard of his time, Dumbledore cloaked his power with charm and humour- and a slightly eccentric, scatty manner. But woe betide anyone who thought that this softly-spoken man with the twinkling eyes and a penchant for flamboyant clothing could be forced to do anything he didn't want to! At every point, Dumbledore was in control, moving people into position with the skill of a chess grandmaster. Even He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was terrified of him- and rightly so. As well as his exceptional capabilities as a wizard, Dumbledore possessed a certain cunning and understanding of human nature that enabled him to turn the nobler aspects of humanity (trust, love, and friendship) to Voldemort's disadvantage.
 
Although his Machiavellian manipulations have earned him some criticism, I choose to believe that everything he did, he did for the benefit of society, both Wizarding and Muggle (and I refuse to use the term "the greater good"). He learned the hard way to overcome his flaws (arrogance, pride, blinding love) and became a better man for it. From bending the rules to hunting down Horcruxes, he supported Harry every way he could, knowing that his fate and the fate of the world were inextricably tied together. He nurtured and protected even the vilest of characters, seeing in them some good that redeemed them. Ultimately, he masterminded his own death to save the soul of Draco, who would never have recovered from becoming a murderer.

And his favourite sweets were sherbet lemons. What's not to love?

6 comments:

  1. Ah, to begin with Albus was a good idea :) Who does not love Harry Potter? I admire the analysis that went into this post. Well done!

    *Shailaja/Alternate Angles/A-Z*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is my first year and I'm enjoying it so far- hope I can keep it up : )

      Delete
  2. Wow! Have a great time with your theme and all of the characters you have to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I may have TOO many characters... Or at least too many that begin with S... 😉

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to some of your favorites. Who doesn't love a wizard who likes sherbets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got some corking witches coming up too ; )

      Delete

This is the part where you get to join in! What did you think of today's post? Leave me a message and let me know what you think. I love reading your comments!