Welcome message

Welcome, friends old and new, to my blog. This is the place where I can share my scribblings and thoughts on loving life. I hope you enjoy them, make suggestions and come back to read more.

Monday 13 April 2015

Great Fictional Characters: Katniss Everdeen

Continuing with the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge 2015


K is for Katniss Everdeen.

Another day, another BAMF.

In The Hunger Games, we first meet Katniss on her home turf, doing her thing- which, incidentally, is whatever she needs to do to look after her family. This is good. It sets her up as someone who is strong, resourceful, protective and proactive (all traits that serve her well in the arena). Someone I immediately identify with. Plus, she's a hot-shot with a bow.

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to let fly with an arrow like she does! I read the books first (as I usually end up doing) but the best parts of the films- the parts that are (gulp) better than the books- are whenever she takes aim.

Whoosh!

I tried archery last year. I have the upper body strength of a T-Rex but I tried it anyway. I was so excited! I just knew I'd be a natural- all those years of watching LOTR and the HG films must have rubbed off somewhere. I was going to be just like Katniss!

As I stepped up, the woods fell into a reverential hush, every living creature in a square mile watching apprehensively, ready to gasp in awe and wonder at my natural talent. I listened carefully to the instructor, positioned myself perfectly, pulled the arrow back and-

Twang!

- sent it somewhere off into the bushes.

It was powerful, even the instructor had to admit that- just nowhere near the target.

Oh well, I thought. Even Legolas must have missed a few times. I persevered and, by the end of the session, managed to hit the target more times than not and (by sheer luck, I'll be honest) score a bullseye! Unfortunately, I then managed to ping my boob on my next go (which hurt like hell) and my puny arms ached so much afterwards that I couldn't brush my hair. Maybe I should find a new hobby. Or get a NERF gun bow.

Yup. Totally me.


I don't mind admitting that I have a bit of a girl-crush on Katniss: she's my heroine. Smart, sassy, awkward, stubborn, comfortable in her own company and downright rude at times- we'd be great mates. We could go hunting together or, rather, she could go hunting and I could trail along behind bumping into trees and squealing over insects.

I don't think she'd let me have a bow.

It's probably for the best.


5 comments:

  1. I have not read Tge Hunger Games; however, I think I may have to try them. I like reading about strong females. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xxx I think you'd love them! I really enjoyed the films, too. So often I'm disappointed, but the films were great IMO.

      Delete
  2. That would be "The" Hunger Games. (Gotta spell check)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopped by from AtoZ and love your blog; great theme idea by the way! I think you're in good company with your girl crush on Katniss, she's so strong and powerful. On the other hand, Tris of Divergent fame, while not initially as strong really seems to step it up. On my other blog, not the one I'm doing the AtoZ challenge on which is a writing blog (mostly memoir, probably boring to someone young like you) but on my other blog http://Chapter1-Take1.blogspot.com, I do books to movies, you might enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love Tris too, and it was hard to choose but eventually I've gone for Tiffany Aching as my T.

      What do you think of the Divergent films? I saw the first film (under protest as I didn't think I'd enjoy it- how wrong was I?) before I read the books, so that Tris is the one in my imagination forever now.

      I howled with rage at the end of Allegient : ( Not looking forward to seeing that on the screen!

      Delete

This is the part where you get to join in! What did you think of today's post? Leave me a message and let me know what you think. I love reading your comments!