Welcome message

Welcome, friends old and new, to my blog. This is the place where I can share my scribblings and thoughts on loving life. I hope you enjoy them, make suggestions and come back to read more.

Friday 14 December 2012

Friday Five- Things to do before the End of the World

As you know, I'm a huge believer in living in the moment and grabbing opportunities. I already live my life as if time is running out, so I thought it would be fun to invite you to join me in a pseudo-panic as the clock counts down to the (apparent) End of the World. 

Here are my top five things to do this week.


1. Live What You Love

Take an hour to do something that makes you happy. Be completely selfish just for once. Lock your door and snuggle under the duvet with a book. Turn the music up loud and sing. Draw a picture, write a poem, have a bath- do something that fills you with a contented glow. Eat an entire cake if you want to- there may be none available after 21/12/2012. Remember, decadence is not a dirty word and now is not the time for moderation.

2. Tell Your Family and Friends That You Love Them

Imagine that, in one week's time, everyone you know and love is gone. Depressing, isn't it? Now imagine all the things you'd have wanted them to know- that you love them, value them, forgive them. Next, pick up the phone, get in the car, or meet in the pub and hug like it's your last chance. "Too late" are the saddest words in the English language.

3. Find Something Beautiful

Remember that scene in "American Beauty" where he talks about there being so much beauty in the world that he can't stand it? Ever felt your chest swell from the joyous emotional reaction to a stunning landscape, a baby bird or the smell of Winter? Seek it. Get up early and watch the sun rise. Get out of your house, your office, and get back to nature. Find the thing that makes you grateful that you live in this beautiful world. Hold that sensory memory in your heart like a talisman and your days will be better.

4. Do Something Different

Modern life pulls us in so many different directions, pressuring us to be everything to everyone, so much so that a lot of us batten down the hatches and just exist in a limited treadmill of days that never change. The familiar is safe, comforting, but oh-so-dull. Shock yourself out of your comfort zone and do something you've never done before. Try a Zumba class. Ride your bike to work. Sign up for a bungee-jump. Eat a curry. Watch Star Wars. (I have never seen Star Wars, so it's on my list this week) Don't miss out on an opportunity to love something just because you're too scared to try. Let go of the familiar and surprise yourself- I dare you!

5. Buy my book

Well, this might be your last chance, right? How will you know that you're missing out if you don't give it a try? As an incentive, I've even made it free on December 21st 2012, so you don't even have to fork out for it. I'm kind like that. If you're still here on Saturday, feel free to leave a review on Amazon.

I hope these suggestions help you make the most of your last week, and I hope (even more) that my predictions are correct and you're still here next Saturday.

Have I missed anything? What's on your list? Let me know x

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the part where you get to join in! What did you think of today's post? Leave me a message and let me know what you think. I love reading your comments!