Welcome message

Welcome, friends old and new, to my blog. This is the place where I can share my scribblings and thoughts on loving life. I hope you enjoy them, make suggestions and come back to read more.

Saturday 3 November 2012

I heard it through the grapevine..


Like a Good Gossip?

Now, don't get me wrong- I love a bit of Good Gossip. I consider it the oil that greases the wheels of society. How else is someone as socially inept as me supposed to work out other people's motives unless someone tells me (over a glass of wine, by choice, or maybe a good ale) what they've heard they are? A little insider-knowledge arms people like me against embarrassing gaffes and enables me to see "the bigger picture" more clearly, as I believe the popular phrase endorses. Good Gossip is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.


I'm not talking about bitching, which masquerades as gossip but is actually something far darker and altogether more spiteful; I mean the passing on of pertinent points that keeps the world informed about the little details that wouldn't normally come up in direct conversation. Things like "Mr X's son is going off the rails" (which signifies that a kind word and an offer of support may be appreciated) or "Mrs Y's husband has just left her" (which means cake and a sympathetic ear might go down well) or, in my case, "Did you hear that Louise has written a story?" As I will demonstrate, a Good Gossip has its purpose and place.

I've been on the receiving end of some Good Gossip this week, and I am eternally grateful for it. As you know (my faithful seekers of cake) I published my first short story- the first of many, might I add- this week, with little expectation and only a tiny tea-light of hope that anyone would read it. I told my friends and crossed my fingers. All I can say is that I have been overwhelmed by the sheer quantity and quality of gossip I have inspired. My friends gossiped between themselves; they gossiped on Facebook and Twitter; they even gossiped with their other friends- people I have no connection with, either real or virtual. I have been Liked, Retweeted, Favourited and supported by a entire network of people I didn't know would feel so passionately about the little story I wrote to amuse myself.

It's been wonderful. Every day this week I've received kind messages, some of them from the most unexpected sources, and the number of downloads has far surpassed my modest goal. I feel very fortunate. So, thank you everyone who has read my little story (the first of many- did I mention that?) and please, one last cheeky favour. If you enjoyed it (and- 'gulp'- even if you didn't) please let me know. You can leave a message here, write a review on Amazon or Goodreads, or contact me through my website. All the links you need are on the right-hand side. I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I was gossiping about you today...told my friend about your story and he said he was going to get it!!! When is next one coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on The Hungry-Man which is going to be released on kindle and in paperback, and also some more short stories for a collection (in both formats too). I'm hoping one or the other will be ready by Christmas but not going to put it out until it's perfect! ; ) And you might be interested in an idea I have for developing and rereleasing Late- more on that soon! Thanks for the Good Gossip! xxx

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you get to join in! What did you think of today's post? Leave me a message and let me know what you think. I love reading your comments!