Welcome message

Welcome, friends old and new, to my blog. This is the place where I can share my scribblings and thoughts on loving life. I hope you enjoy them, make suggestions and come back to read more.

Wednesday 6 February 2013

Stamp- part eight

Why, hello there, lovely readers! I hope your week is going well so far, and that you enjoyed my part of the 7 Line Challenge. This blog-hop business is rather exciting, isn't it? Read all the way to the bottom of this post to discover what I have planned for you next week- it's very special (and a little delayed).

 

Onto this week's chapter of Stamp. I know I made you wait a week (sorry, Mary- your complaint has been noted) but, unfortunately, I think this next part will have you climbing the walls to find out what happens next too. Feel free to bribe me with cake and I'll email you the next chapter. I'm not kidding. (Mary, you know the cake I like).


Catch up here if you need to refresh your memory. I'll wait.

Done? Marvellous.

We last saw Ben struggling to comprehend the enormity of his stamp's potential significance, and about to build a bridge between himself and his estranged best friend. (Sorry for the big words- I'm feeling swishy today).

 

Read on to eavesdrop on his conciliatory (did it again) conversation and edge closer towards the truth of the mysterious numbers.



*****

Stamp- part eight



Tim answered, sounding sleepy.

“Hello?”

Ben tried to control his excitement.

“Tim? Mate, it’s Ben. Listen, I’ve got something to tell you that will blow your mind! You know those numbers on the stamp? They’re for real! It’s on the internet and everything. There’s hundreds of people with them.” He paused to let this information sink in. “Mate, are you there?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m here. What do you mean, they’re real?”

“There are people on the internet posting about the numbers and how they’ve brought them good luck. You have to buy a lottery ticket- I’m serious! You’re going to win!” Ben realised he had raised his voice.

Tim grunted.

“Nah, mate. I’ve already tried it. I spent a month buying tickets for every lottery I could find. I used every combination of numbers I could make from the ones on my hand- waste of time. And now I’m skint.”

Ben paced the floor in excitement.

“The numbers aren’t the secret- the date they make is! 17th of April 2013- the night of the draw. You could buy a lucky dip and still win; it doesn’t matter which numbers you pick. You have to try it at least. I’ll lend you a couple of quid if you need it.”

Tim sounded a bit more awake now.

“I’m not that skint, mate. I can afford a lottery ticket. Where’s all this come from? You laughed at me when I said it ages ago.”

“I know, and I’m sorry. I didn’t realise it until tonight.” Ben reached for his laptop and clicked on one of the pictures as he spoke. “It’s all here. There are pictures of the stamps and then people saying what happened to them on that date. I’ll give you the website.” He reeled off the address and waited while Tim, wide awake now, turned on his laptop. While he listened to him grunting and shuffling to find the plug to charge it, Ben smiled at how easy it was, talking to Tim again. He realised he’d missed him.

“Right, got it.” Ben waited while Tim clicked his way through the pages, chuckling and letting out little whoops as he found story after story of good fortune. “Woah… This is what the numbers are for?” Ben could hear the smile in his voice. “This is mental! I am definitely buying a ticket!”

“I told you! ‘Significant and life-changing event’- that’s what they all say. You can’t get much more life-changing than winning the lottery!”

“Nah, mate. I think you’ll find I told you!” Tim laughed, with no trace of hard feelings over their falling-out. “Life-changing… Cheers, mate- seriously.”

“Hey, no problem. That’s what mates are for, right?”

“Right,” Tim agreed. “Pub, Wednesday, to celebrate? I want a big crowd when my numbers come up!” Ben laughed and agreed. They made plans to meet on Wednesday night and Ben hung up the phone. He doubted Tim would sleep until then. Right now, he felt too wired to sleep himself.

If Tim won on Wednesday, it would prove that the numbers had a purpose, that they had some sort of magical power to predict or induce massive life-changing events. The stories on the website were convincing but Ben knew he’d need to see it with his own eyes to really believe it. He couldn’t allow himself to hope until then. He squashed down the bubble of excitement. He knew his date had something to do with Cassie. He undressed, climbed into bed and eventually fell asleep, dreaming of her smile...

I've got something very special to share with you next Wednesday (it should have been today, but I've had a minor hitch- my apologies) that I hope you'll squee over, as it involves our very own Ben and his chums (and 10 very difficult questions). Intrigued? I hope so! Make sure to check out next week's WIP Wednesday- it's pretty epic!


'swish'

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the part where you get to join in! What did you think of today's post? Leave me a message and let me know what you think. I love reading your comments!